How To Build A Stellar Staff Team

How To Build A Stellar Staff Team

Locating and recruiting the top workers for your staff team can be a challenging task. The job market has become increasingly competitive, and the gap in skills has become quite large. This environment requires employers to think strategically and in unorthodox ways to recruit the top talent, which will help them dominate their respective industries.

Be Patient

When looking to recruit the best talent for your staff team you must be patient. The more time you put into this process, the better the results. You will be better equipped to identify potential problems before you bring someone on board, and when you  screen candidates carefully you will reduce turnover resulting from poor performance. Startups must be more selective than established firms, because a single bad worker in a smaller team will do more damage, at a time when the company is just getting on its feet.

Screen Candidates Relentlessly

Getting the best people on your staff team will require you to screen relentlessly. Anyone that doesn’t meet the cut should be sent on their way. This is particularly important when you find yourself in a situation where you have a bunch of people applying for a handful of positions; Pareto’s Principle dictates that only 20 percent or less will be worthwhile, while the other 80 percent will be completely incompatible. Be selective when deciding where you will post your recruiting ad, focusing on niche sites and pages will allow you to pre-screen candidates before the more rigorous selection process begins.

Always Keep Your Eyes Open For Potential Candidates

Sometimes great prospects will show up at unexpected times and in unexpected places. This is why it’s always important to keep your eyes and ears open for potential opportunities. The best way to do this is through networking and relationship building. This should be done continuously, and you should also consider visiting networking events which are industry specific in order to find people who are familiar with the niche in which you operate. When you’re looking for new staff members, you will often find that these connections will often lead to networking opportunities that will lead you to the right individual.

Additional Tips

Once you’ve acquired a group of people that you feel would make an excellent staff team, bring them together in a meeting to see how they interact with each other. Allow them to share their opinions regarding the task at hand and pay attention to any red flags which may signal that some potential members may not be a good fit. Many companies structure interviews in such a manner where the candidate is evaluated to determine how they would function in a team environment.

It will also be necessary to modify your staff selection methods periodically. The state of the workforce will evolve; so must you in order to remain competitive. These changes will pose challenges that your HR team will need to meet. Doing so will allow your organization to recruit the best staff workers while leaving your competition with the leftovers.

Request Quote